Find A Session
Many benefits professionals have received only sporadic training in the myriad laws that affect employee benefits plans. ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code, the FMLA, COBRA, the PPACA and more all affect the administration of employer-sponsored benefits programs. This session will provide more clarity around these rules. It will review the ERISA mandates, the plan documents and other communication requirements, the reporting and compliance mandates, and the fiduciary obligations. General requirements under the Internal Revenue Code, COBRA, HIPAA and other laws that pertain to employee benefits will also be discussed. Finally, you will learn how to apply the FMLA, the ADAAA, the FLSA and other employment laws to illustrate how these laws intersect and to understand their effect on employee benefits. This workshop will help you understand:
- The overall ERISA structure so that you can apply employee benefits laws to specific situations.
- What a plan document is, what a summary plan description is, the differences between them and their importance.
- The relevancy of the fiduciary obligations of a plan sponsor.
- The requirements of HIPAA and COBRA and how to manage employee benefits plans to maintain compliance with both of these laws.
- The basics of the FMLA, the FLSA and the ADAAA and how to stay compliant with those rules given their effect on employee benefits plans.