Find A Session
Effective communication is one-third talking and two-thirds listening. In this session you will learn to use the new science of reflective listening to understand what the speaker is really saying and respond in ways that stop conflict, build rapport, and strengthen relationships. Learn to use physiology, feedback loops, emotional validation, bounce-back questions, and other proven strategies to build safety, break down defensiveness, and encourage open and productive communication. By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Listen reflectively to understand the true meaning, context, motive, and reasoning behind any communication.
- Use emotional validation to encourage others to share their views and concerns and understand their feelings and emotions even if you don't agree with them.
- Welcome other points of view without becoming defensive even if past experience has been negative.
- Apply the four types of deeper dive questions to gather information and clarify ambiguity.
- Defuse conflict quickly by using the “neutral” listening physiology to let others know they are being heard.