Find A Session
Distinguishing between independent contractors and employees has never been an easy task for employers. While the consequences for getting it wrong have always been significant, the stakes just got higher. The federal government has allocated $25 million and 100 new investigators to detect and deter inappropriately classified independent contractors, an effort projected to raise $7 billion from employers over the next decade. Refresh your understanding of the rules regarding classification, understand how penalties are calculated, get practical how-to's to help you establish whether someone is truly a contractor, and learn how to perform an internal audit to shore up your practices—before you get a costly knock on the door.
- A detailed review of the various government agency rules regarding classification of independent contractors versus employees.
- An explanation of how audits are triggered and how penalties are calculated.
- Practices for hiring and managing independent contractors that help ensure compliance.
- How to perform an internal audit.
- How to correct misclassification of individuals.